Baptism and Identity
And a voice came from heaven, “You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased.” Mark 1:11
Jesus Baptized- Why?
The Spirit descends
The Lord Speaks
We need to know these 3
The Spirit leads him into the wilderness
Invitation to Remember Your Baptism
Share about your baptism?
- Read John 1:4-11. How does John describe Jesus? Knowing that the feet were the most unclean portion of a person, what is the significance of Johns mention of the sandal?
- What is the major difference between Johns baptism and Jesus’s baptism?
- What did Jesus experience during his baptism? How important was that for him? All that Jesus received from the Father he shares with us, how can you affirm those things about yourself?
- How do we understand Jesus’ baptism if we believe that he had no need of forgiveness? Does someone with no sin still need repentance?
- Who saw the Spirit descend and who heard the voice of the Father? How might John have gotten this info? How did baptism affirm Jesus’ identity?
- Right after this high spiritual moment, the Spirit drives Jesus into the wilderness. How do we understand the Spirit doing something like that? How do we understand a trial happening right after a key spiritual moment?
January Memory Verse
Mark 1:1 The beginning of the good news of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. Mark 1:1
Rooted Reading Plan
4 Sunday Mark 1:4-11
5 Monday Mark 14:1-21
6 Tuesday Mark 14:22-42
7 Wednesday Mark 14:43-70
8 Thursday Mark 15:1-20
9 Friday Mark 15: 21-47
10 Saturday REST